We know building starts with relationships.
Hilger Hammond attorneys have deep experience protecting clients’ interests in construction law. A significant portion of our practice involves serving as general counsel and special litigation counsel to all players in the construction industry.
Our team of construction law attorneys work across the spectrum of the construction industry on matters relating to the preparation and negotiation of complex multi-party construction agreements; the pursuit or defense of construction defect, delay and lien claims, and many more matters specific to the construction industry.
We know that disputes must be resolved efficiently and effectively. We actively engage in pre-suit facilitation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Where litigation is necessary, we have appeared in tribunals across the country, including state and federal courts and private arbitration panels.
Construction Law Services
- Review of contract documents
- Contract drafting: AIA, AGC, EDJC, DBIA and ConsensusDOCS
- Negotiation of contract terms
- Assistance with Building Information Modeling
- Assistance with Integrated Project Delivery Methods
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Contract disputes
- Construction lien foreclosure
- Contractor theft and trust fund claims
- Payment and performance bond claims
- Construction defects
- Change order and formal claims
- Project schedule claims
- Schedule acceleration, compression, and loss of productivity claims
- Differing site conditions
- Project closeout and payment disputes
- Warranty claims
- Design defects
- Design professional liability claims and defense
- Defense of job site injury claims
- Mediation and arbitration
- Construction manager and design builder liability claims and defense
- Green building issues
- Blue print deviation issues
- Building code violations
- Professional licensing proceedings
- Mold Claims
- OSHA and MIOSHA investigations and claims
- Federal Miller Act claims
- Bid disputes and public procurement
- Insurance claims
- Risk management assessment
- Global risk management strategies
- Captive insurance
- Micro-captives and I.R.C. 831(b)
Project Management and Construction Consulting
- Contract document preparation and tracking
- Contractor qualification and background investigation
- Implementation cash-flow management principles
- Evaluation of treasury management services and financing
Construction Law Representative Cases:
- Negotiated $200 million IPD client for a general contractor
- Negotiated a complex settlement in litigation involving a defunct development and multiple subcontractor liens and bank mortgages
- Resolved claim against engineer prior to initiation of arbitration
- Obtained a summary disposition in a lawsuit concerning a claim of lien
- Successfully defended a general contractor at trial on a claim by subcontractor for a significant change order.
- Prepared and negotiated numerous commercial and residential construction contracts, including custom agreements and agreements prepared or endorsed by trade associations such as AIA, AGC, DBIA, EJCDC, and Grand Rapids HBA
- Evaluated bid irregularities and potential bid protests on behalf of owners and construction professionals involved in public projects
Hilger Hammond Construction Law Attorneys
Benjamin H. Hammond
Aileen M. Leipprandt
Mark A. Rysberg
Christopher E. Nyenhuis
Construction Law Resources & News
Learn how Hilger Hammond helped win a case restoring a homeowner’s personal residence exemption (PRE) from real property taxes.
Last year, the cost of construction disputes totaled $42.8 million! This article explains their common causes and the best practices for construction dispute resolution.
Learn how the recent MDH Construction v Asquith ruling affirms that residential construction, builders who fail to document changes to a contract in writing forfeit their lien rights.